6.26.2011

Foggy Ridges


June gloom rocks. I am not ashamed to admit this. Unless it's the June gloom that sits around all day and completely denies the sun, I get stoked waking up in the summer to a little marine layer. It's a nice break from the heat looming right above the clouds. On one of these grey, wet mornings, I decided to climb up to the top of the Santa Ana mountains near my home. I got to the top and found myself engulfed in a moving fog bank. It was great hiking through the clouds that were moving in a way that they seemed to pour over the ridge. Attacking my olfactory department was the heavy smell of ash from a controlled burn the fire department had done along the ridge the day prior. The fire cleared the area around the trail that was once surrounded by grass, brush, and small trees.